Jeremiah 8 v8b

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Sun Jul 22 11:39:09 EDT 2001

In a message dated 7/21/01 8:39:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
hholmyard at ont.com writes:
> The NIV is good:
> Jer. 8:8 "'How can you say,  "We are wise, for we have the law of the
> LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?

NJPS:

How can you say, "We are wise,
And we possess the Instruction of the L-rd"?
Assuredly, for naught has the pen labored,
For naught the scribes!

This translation fits well with the following verse:

The wise shall be put to shame,
Shall be dismayed and caught;
See, they reject the word of the L-rd,
So their wisdom amounts to nothing.

Contrary to the other translations I've seen on this thread, the implication
is not that the text is deceitful but that the text is meaningless when those
who use it use it deceitfully.