Isaiah Query

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Mon Jul 16 16:44:38 EDT 2001

In a message dated 7/16/01 11:59:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rvining at log.on.ca writes:
> Can we assume  that handlers of the JPS text found it to be quite an
> unpalatable way to wind up such a glorious work, and exercised their
> prerogative to change the text so it  read more to their liking?

It is an ancient and respected Jewish custom to end any biblical reading on a
positive note.  In the prophetic readings following weekly Torah readings in
synagogue this is common.   It is accepted practice when confronted with a
negative ending, as in this case, to repeat a more positive verse.  Note that
JPS has NOT emended the text.  They have simply repeated verse 23.