Isaiah Query

Daniel Wagner dan.wagner at netzero.net
Mon Jul 16 14:34:02 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Vining <rvining at log.on.ca>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 12:06 PM
Subject: Isaiah Query

> Isaiah Ending Query
>
> In the JPS version of the Tanakh,  Isaiah ends on a positive note,
> 66:24b. This appears to be achieved by tacking on a refrain of the
> preceding verse, 66:23.

With neither textual evidence nor any problem with the current text, emendation seems absurd to me. The ending is consistent with Isaiah's theology, and similar to other books with much positive content, such as Malachi's ending. The majority of Isaiah's potential readership were unfaithful to the covenant. Maybe some of them were even like some of us readers today who read the introduction and the conclusion, and then decide if they want to read the rest of the book!

Dan Wagner

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!