2 Ki 2:23-24

David Stabnow dstabno at lifeway.com
Mon Jul 16 08:51:28 EDT 2001

Shoshanna,

I agree with your short answer.  But questions of vocabulary are seldom
satisfied with short answers.  As you know, na'ar is used of children of
varying ages, from pre-birth to early twenties.  It also refers to "young
servant" or "retainer" (acolyte?).  Still, I agree that the default meaning
is the bar-mitzvah boy, on the verge of manhood.

As to the variation in 2 Ki 2, note that in v. 23 they are ne'arim ketanim
"little youths," for which yeladim in v. 24 is a synonym.

Dave Stabnow