Tarshish article

Walter Mattfeld mattfeld at mail.pjsnet.com
Sat Feb 24 01:50:48 EST 2001

I have just posted an article to my website (click on the url in my
signature, if interested) on Tarshish possibly being Joseph's Tarsus. The
article explores the etymological relationships between Tarsus, Neo-Assyrian
Tarsisi (Esarhaddon), Spain's Tartessos and the Hebrew "t-r-s-s." Also
discussed is archaeological findings in Cilicia attesting to a Phoenician
presence (at Karatepe), and slag heaps and crucibles revealing the presence
of tin being worked in the area (also noted is the Early Bronze Age tin mine
found just 60 miles north of Tarsus in 1994).

All the best,  Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
Walldorf by Heidelberg
Baden-Wurttemburg, Germany