Written by Women.???

Liz Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Wed Feb 21 08:44:14 EST 2001

The fact that there is no female scribe mentioned at
Elephantine where the women were *very* liberated,
strongly suggests that they were not literate.
Further the small number of scribal names relative to
the thousands of names we have in the Elephantine
papyri suggests that 99% of the men were not literate either.
This in spite of the fact that we are talking about Aramaic,
a purely phonetic alphabetic language.
Liz