Written by Women.???

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed Feb 21 08:35:04 EST 2001

> Dave,
>
> to be exactly, I did not say they could not. I said that the data at hand
> SUGGEST they DID not. The data I refer to, is the fact that especially the
> writing of cuneiform demanded a very intensive education to become a writer
> which was a kind of office in that time. Women were not educated for that
> profession because women did not hold public offices. Moreover, what we know
> about writing and writers (Mesopotamia, but also Egypt) is that they were
> men; cf. for example the pictures of scribes in ANEP, 71ff; ABD, vol. 5,
> 1012ff).

Aside from the pictures, though, I'm still wondering what the
evidence for all this is.  We have pictures of male scribes, yes, but
we have female members of royal families, queens in Egypt and
such, so I'm not sure a handful of pictures preserved by the whims
of chance really tell us anything as definitive as you suggest.  You
still talk about "data" but I'm still waiting to hear what this "data" is.

> The difference between the cuneiform and alphabetic script is that the
> learning of the writing was less difficult. This made it possible that
> knowledge of writing was not restricted to the scribes alone.

Once again, it's easy to say this sort of thing, but I'm still
wondering about the "data" you mentioned.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated."  C. S. Lewis