Is this a rock or not? I Would like to know

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Sat Feb 17 12:35:07 EST 2001

Ian wrote:
[snip]
> (And it is normally accepted to use "CE" -- Common Era -- and "BCE", rather
> than the Christian biased "AD" (which you used in your initial post on the
> matter) and "BC" in scholarly circles. This is the imposition religious
> beliefs through indirect cultural means.)

This is simply not correct.  The scholarly literature is about evenly
divided between the two practices, and true scholars know better
than to read anything into use of one or the other.  CE/BCE is an
alternative, not "normally accepted."  Scholarly writers, at least in
the journals, use both.  No big deal.

[snip]
> >Depending on ones definition of the term. I follow the one presented in the
> >NT.
>
> Crap, Dan. Total crap. You follow your interpretation -- an
> interpretation -- of the NT. The sun does not shine only from your navel,
> so, when you talk about "the one", this sounds like pure vanity.

Thank you for confining yourself to good, neutral scholarly
terminology.

[snip]

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur