HB, not OT, please.

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Thu Feb 15 08:33:05 EST 2001

[snip]
> Criticism is democracy. You cannot turn it off at tap. Neither can you say that
> non-Christians must be forced to study their literature in anchronistic forms.
>
> So, please, HB, not OT. And let criticism be stated unhindered by absolutisms
> which are at root the desire of powerful interest groups to escape examination.

I see.  So what this is actually saying is, all methods of
interpretation except the Christian one are permissible.  This is a
very discriminatory statement.  The Christian approach is part of
the history of interpretation of the HB text, like it or not.  When
we're seeking to understand it, there are things we may be able to
glean from all the approaches to the text that have been used
throughout its history.  Arbitrarily excluding one approach because
someone doesn't happen to like it is not a scholarly approach, in
fact it's quite anti-scholarship because it refuses to look at all sides
of the coin.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated."  C. S. Lewis