Rabbinical Curriculum

Lewis Reich lewisreich at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 11:42:44 EST 2001

 By the time one began specifically rabbinical studies, I imagine one would be presumed to have at least some solid foundation inTanakh and the commentaries.  Orthodox and Conservative rabbis would study Talmud and the traditional legal codes (Maimonides, the Shulkhan Arukh) and the later commentaries on those codes, as well as other halakhic (Jewish religious legal) works, homiletics, and rabbinical literature that would include ethical, exegetical, and philosophical works.  The Conservative curriculum would also include modern biblical scholarship and theology, and probably preparation for interfaith relations.  I am less well informed about the curriculum for Reform rabbinical candidates.  The web sites for the major rabbinical seminaries might provide more detailed information that your friend might find helpful:
Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary (Orthodox)
http://www.yu.edu/riets/about_riets.htm  (Unfortunately this site appears to be considerably less informative on curriculum than the two below)
Jewish Theological Seminary of America  (Conservative)
http://www.jtsa.edu/academic/rs/therabbi.html

Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion  (Reform)

http://www.huc.edu/catalog/rabcurr.html

Lewis Reich

  David Stabnow wrote:
This question may be much too complicated for a short answer, but ... What
books do Jews study in order to become Rabbis? (Obviously the Tanakh.) A
Christian layperson friend is looking for insight into the preparation of a
Teacher.