Goliath

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Mon Feb 5 20:54:34 EST 2001

> > You'll find that the words [the brother of] are
> missing from 2 Samuel 21:19.
> > Compare 1 Chronicles 20:5. Elhanan slew *Lahmi*;
> David slew Goliath.
>
> > Shalom
> > Ben
>
> This is perhaps POSSIBLE, but I think you will find
> that almost all modern commentators agree that the

> Chronicles version is an attempt to harmonise the
> obvious discrepancy.

So what?  Is this truth by consensus?  We have to ask what kinds
of presuppositions these commentators begin with, what their
attitude toward the text is, and a host of other questions.  More
important, we have to look into the text itself, not what somebody
says about it.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated."  C. S. Lewis