Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Sun Feb 4 23:44:07 EST 2001

>Ian, if you want to disregard the strong and united, if I remember
>correctly, testimony of the ancient Church that the apostle Matthew wrote
>the Gospel of Matthew, then you are free to do so. Thanks for clarifying
>the thinking of those who might consider the Gospel's author to be a
>Gentile.

Dear Harold,

I haven't taken a position on Matthew's racial heritage, though I doubt if
there was a single author to the gospel as you seem to believe.

I still don't think it is subject material for the b-hebrew list.

Ian

This is what Papias said:

Matthew put together the oracles [of the Lord] in the Hebrew language, and
each one interpreted them as best he could.

Eusebius H.E. III.39.14