begin-title / end-title

Banyai Michael banyai at t-online.de
Fri Feb 2 13:09:30 EST 2001

gfsomsel wrote:

> Just a suggestion regarding the concluding formula.  Would it possibly be the
> case that this would be used when there were several works on the same scoll?
>  Then the formula "In the book of nnn it is written" would mean that this was
> found on the scroll that had this opening formula though it might, in fact,
> be an entirely different work.

Could be. Why not? Scribes tryed to come out in an economical way with
their
papyruses. So why not use a restant space on the back side of the papyrus,
as we
many times may observe in Egypt, to write something quite different. This
doesn´t
prevent one to once more use a header. why not.

But we are as always left without the concrete evidence and can in this
case
speak just about plausability, which is high. But I wouldn´t necesarilly
link the
concluding formula with this practice, since the header of the now
following work
would suffice.

Best regards,