Semitic and Greek Daniel, was: Greek vs. Hebrew

Wesselius jwwesselius at mail.thuk.nl
Mon Dec 31 06:54:26 EST 2001

I think that Clay Stirling Bartholomew is basically right,
and that there are too many variables to come to a
conclusion about the original form of the book of Daniel,
unless (I would add) one can think of a reason why this or
that form of the book looks the way it does: in that case
at least part of the genealogy of the book can be
reconstructed. See my "The Writing of Daniel", in: J.J.
Collins & P.W. Flint, The Book of Daniel. Composition and
Reception, vol II (Leiden: Brill, 2001) 291-310, for the
view of MT Daniel as a literary emulation of the book of
Ezra and of the story of Joseph in Genesis 37-50, in which
nearly all the discontinuities (language, literary genre,
division of the book, first-third-person narration,
anachronistic position of chapters) in the book find a
natural place. This would make the LXX version, where much
of this is different, secondary in any case. In general
about this interesting literary strategy: J.W.
Wesselius, "Discontinuity, Congruence and the Making of the
Hebrew Bible", Scandinavian Journal of the Old Testament 13
(1999) 24-77.
As for the LXX itself, in a paper for the IOSCS this
summer, I proposed a systematic literary shift as part of
the background for the LXX/Old Greek version: one of the
general characteristics of MT Daniel is postponing the
giving of information to the reader, for as long as
possible, about the accusations, the saving of the martyrs
and the riddles in the stories. The LXX attempted to
reverse this, with complex literary changes in some
chapters as a result.
Finally, best wishes for all for 2002!

Jan-Wim Wesselius
Hoekenes 26A, 1068 MT Amsterdam