Greek vs. Hebrew

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 30 01:14:04 EST 2001

An additional thought on LXX and textual criticism of the MT.

on 12/29/01 9:03 PM, Theodore H. Mann wrote:

> From earlier posts I have learned that the Greek OT predates the earliest
> copy of the MT by a number of centuries.  I'm interested to know how OT
> textual critics weigh these two sources.  That is, for example, is the
> Greek OT generally considered more authoritative because it is closer in
> time to the autographs than the later MT?

If E. Tov is too dry for your tastes (He is dry, but I like my Bombay Rose
straight, doesn't everyone?) anyway if you find Tov heavy sledding then get
yourself a personal copy of:

Invitation to the Septuagint / Karen H. Jobes and Moisés Silva. Pub info
Grand Rapids, Mich. : Baker Academic ; Carlisle, Cumbria, U.K. :
Paternoster, c2000.

This book isn't all that easy either but it targeted at a different audience
than most of Tov's stuff. It talks a lot about textual criticism of the
LXX/MT. Someone wrote a review on it last year, see the TC forum for
details.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew