Greek vs. Hebrew
c stirling bartholomew
cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 30 00:50:10 EST 2001
on 12/29/01 9:03 PM, Theodore H. Mann wrote:
> From earlier posts I have learned that the Greek OT predates the earliest
> copy of the MT by a number of centuries. I'm interested to know how OT
> textual critics weigh these two sources. That is, for example, is the
> Greek OT generally considered more authoritative because it is closer in
> time to the autographs than the later MT?
This is a very complicated subject. Here is some recommended reading all
titles by Emanuel Tov:
***Start with this book, there is a 2nd edition :
Textual criticism of the Hebrew Bible / Emanuel Tov. Minneapolis :
Fortress Press ; Assen/Maastricht : Van Gorcum, c1992.
***See if there is a newer edition of this title available:
889. . "The Text-Critical Use of the Septuagint in Biblical Research."
(Jerusalem Biblical Studies ; 3). 350 p . Jerusalem: Simor Ltd, 1981.
***And then weed through this list and pick out a few likely titles:
865. Tov, Emanuel. "The 5th Fascicle of Margolis' The Book of Joshua in
Greek : [Newly Discovered Photostat of Lost Pt; Tables]." Jewish Quarterly
Review 74 (1984): 397-407.
866. . "The CATSS Project - a Progress Report." 7th Congress of the
International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies, Leuven 1989.,
157-63. Atlanta: Scholars Pr, 1991.
867. . "The Composition of 1 Samuel 16-18 in the Light of the Septuagint
Version : [Appendices Listing Greek and Hebrew Variances]." Empirical Models
for Biblical Criticism., 97-130. Philadelphia, Pa: Univ of Pennsylvania Pr,
870. . "The Contribution of the Qumran Scrolls to the Understanding of
the LXX." Septuagint, Scrolls and Cognate Writings., 11-47. Atlanta:
Scholars Pr, 1992.
871. . "Did the Septuagint Translators Always Understand Their Hebrew
Text : [Disc of Untranslated Words, Guesses, Reliance on Parallelism, Use of
General Words, and Etymological Renderings]." Septuaginta, De., 53-70.
Mississauga, Ontario: Benben Pubns, 1984.
872. . "Die Griechischen Bibelübersetzungen : [Bibliogs]." Principat 20,
1., 121-89. Berlin, New York: Walter de Gruyter, 1987.
873. . ""Greek Words and Hebrew Meanings"." Melbourne Symposium on
Septuagint Lexicography., 83-125. Atlanta: Scholars Pr, 1990.
876. . "Interchanges of Consonants Between the Masoretic Text and the
Vorlage of the Septuagint : [Bibliog]." "Shaarei Talmon"., 255-66. Winona
Lake, Ind: Eisenbrauns, 1992.
877. . "Loan-Words, Homophony and Transliterations in the Septuagint."
Biblica 60 No 2 (1979): 216-36.
879. . "The Nature and Study of the Translation Technique of the LXX in
the Past and Present : [With Classified Bibliog Relating to Translation
Technique]." Sixth Congress of the International Organization for Septuagint
and Cognate Studies, Jerusalem, 1986., 337-59. Atlanta: Scholars Pr, 1987.
880. . "The Nature of the Differences Between MT and the LXX : [Repr]."
Story of David and Goliath, The., 19-46. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht,
881. . "The Nature of the Hebrew Text Underlying the LXX : a Survey of
the Problems." Journal for the Study of the Old Testament No 7 (1978):
882. . "On "Pseudo-Variants" Reflected in the Septuagint." Journal of
Semitic Studies 20 (1975): 165-77.
883. . "The Rabbinic Tradition Concerning the "Alterations" Inserted into
the Greek Pentateuch and Their Relation to the Original Text of the LXX."
Journal for the Study of Judaism in the Persian, Hellenistic and Roman
Period 15 (1984): 65-89.
884. . "Recensional Differences Between the Masoretic Text and the
Septuagint of Proverbs." Of Scribes and Scrolls., 43-56. Lanham, Md: Univ Pr
of America, 1990.
885. . "Recensional Differences Between the MT and LXX of Ezekiel."
Ephemerides Theologicae Lovanienses 62 No 1 (1986): 89-101.
886. . "The Septuagint : [Bibliog]." Mikra. Assen/Maastricht,
Netherlands, 1988. (Compendia Rerum Iudaicarum Ad Novum Testamentum ; 2:1).
887. . "Some Sequence Differences Between the MT and LXX and Their
Ramifications for the Literary Criticism of the Bible." Journal of Northwest
Semitic Languages 13 (1987): 151-60.
888. . "The State of the Question : Problems and Proposed Solutions [LXX
Version of Sam and Kgs]." International Organization for Septuagint and
Cognate Studies and the S B L Pseudepigrapha Seminar, 1972 Proceedings.
Society of Biblical Literature, 1972. (Septuagint and Cognate Studies ; No
2). P. 3-15.1972.
After you have read a few of these then you will understand why I am not
going to attempt an answer to your question.
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062
More information about the b-hebrew