MMZR in 1Enoch 10:9

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 28 15:28:22 EST 2001

Well, after a lively off list exchange it looks like **Sabbath Lily Hawks
got this one right after all. I am not sure that Sabbath was actually
quoting Deut 23:3, it is more likely she was conflating this text with a
text from the NT. Can't locate the reference but it ran something like: "No
bastard will ever enter the kingdom . . ."

With much assistance from a scholar across the Atlantic I was able to find
numerous uses of MMZR in Jewish extra canonical texts dating as early as the
DSS secular texts right on down to the third millennium AD. From this
evidence it looks like TOUS MAZHREOUS in *1Enoch 10:9 is roughly equivalent
to TOUS UIOUS THS PORNEIAS which makes sense.

*1Enoch 10:9 in Codex Panopolitanus

10:9 Kai tw Gabrihl eipen o kurios Poreuon
 epi tous mazhreous,
epi tous kibdhlous
kai tous uious ths porneias,
kai apoleson tous uious twn egrhgorwn apo twn anqrwpwn pemyon autois en
polemw apwleias.

Thanks for all the help.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

**Sabbath Lily Hawks makes reference to this term in her allusion (?) to
Deut. 23:3 where she renders  MMZR according to the AV (Wiseblood, Flannery
O'Conner page # ??).