letter names

Mathias van den Bossche m.vdb at free.fr
Mon Dec 17 08:14:22 EST 2001

En réponse à Christian Hoffmann <christian.hoffmann at wsl.ch>:

> Dear haverim,
>
> Not so long we discussed the choice of qatal as the paradigmatic stem for
> Hebrew verb grammar. We went through all the possible combinations,
> sorting out unwanted consonants, like
> aleph, he, waw, khet,

Just a side question :

Although the Israelis of European origin do not distinguish
khaf from het, Hebrew speakers of biblical times certainly did.

Is it a widespread use in the academic community to call "khet"
the letter whose name was pronounced something like [He:t] with
"pharyngal h", or is there an alternative widespread name like
"hhet" or "h.et" or anything else ? It is a precision which can
have a strong teaching impact, isn't it ?

Thanks in advance

Mathias