Hebrew sentence pattern

Clayton Bauman claytonb at kfalls.sykes.com
Sat Dec 15 15:09:43 EST 2001

I have a question about the phrasing used in some passages

Proverbs 6:16; 30:15,18,20,29
Amos 2:4,6

In these passages (I would assume there are others, these are just the
ones I've found) there is a phrase pattern used: "x, yeah (x+1)." For
example, Solomon says, "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven
are an abomination unto him:" In Amos, he says that He will judge for
three, yea four sins etc.

What is the significance (if any) of this pattern? Is it a form of
reaffirmation or a way to add force? Or was/is it just a Hebrew turn of
phrase?

I would appreciate if anyone who has an answer would post a reply.

Clayton