Ending on a vowel?

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Wed Dec 12 13:17:49 EST 2001

Yes. But the only permitted word final vowel point (apart from a silent
shewa in a kaph or on a final consonant cluster) is qamets, and then only
following kaph and nun.

The matres lectionis ("silent" consonants) which may end a word are waw, yod
and he. Final aleph is technically a consonant but may actually be silent.
But final (and anywhere else) ayin should be considered as a full consonant
in biblical Hebrew, even if not pronounced by many modern speakers.

Peter Kirk