Leningrad Codex & Chronicles

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Wed Dec 12 07:35:24 EST 2001

At 10:55 11/12/01, James Kirk wrote:

>I was browsing through the facsimiles of the Leningrad Codex the other day
>and noticed that in it Chronicles is placed at the beginning of the
>"Writings" (in contrast with BHS's placement of Chronicles at the
>end).  In trying to understand what was going on I came across this note
>in BHS: "The BHS, following the BHK, deviates from the order of the books
>in L[eningrad] only in placing 1,2 Chronicles at the end" (XII).  The
>editors of BHS say nothing more about it and I have not been able to find
>more explanation in BHK.  Are they following another textual/canonical
>tradition at this point?  If so, why?

A useful first source for this sort of query is the Anchor Bible Dictionary.

In it, as part of R.W.Klein's long entry under " Book of Chronicles 1.2 "
you will find this;

In some Hebrew manuscripts from Spain it appears as the first book among
the Writings, where its worship emphases provide a fitting introduction to
the following book of Psalms. Its now standard position at the end of the
canon follows the practice of the Jewish community in Babylon. In the
Septuagint and associated translations (e.g., Vulgate, Ethiopic), the order
is Kings, Chronicles, 1 Esdras, 2 Esdras (= Ezra-Nehemiah).
<<<<<<<<<

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]
mauros at iol.ie

" With computers we can now misinterpret Scripture at speeds never before
possible"