What are Hebrew words for hen and egg?

Ben Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 17:15:52 EST 2001

On Thu  6 Dec 2001 (12:54:57), dstabno at lifeway.com wrote:
> For eggs see Deut 22:6; Job 39:14 and Isaiah 10:14.  I didn't find any
> chickens -- so I guess THAT answers which came first.

 In Delitzsch's /Hebrew-English New Testament/ we have words for 'hen'
 and for 'chickens' or 'brood' at Matthew 23:37 and Luke 13:34.

 'Hen' is TaR:N:GoLeT and 'chickens' are 'P:RoXoWT in both places, rendering
 the Greek ORNIS and NOSSIA respectively.

 Ben
--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF and Mrs Joanna (Goodwin) Crick
 <ben.crick at argonet.co.uk>