Aftermath of virus

Kirk Lowery Kirk at leningradensis.org
Sun Dec 2 07:48:43 EST 2001

Thanks, Greg, for taking prompt action. For what it's worth, the Lyris
conference software that runs B-Hebrew does have virus checking capabilities,
but its effectiveness depends upon the University of North Carolina's
system administrators.

I have also deleted the infected message from the b-hebrew archives.

Yes, the rule is: never, never, never open an attachment which
you did not expect, or which comes from an infrequent or unknown
correspondent. FYI, the Pegasus email client (http://www.pmail.com)
does a good job of preventing attachments from automatically
activating. Pegasus is for Windows, and it's free. The Mozilla/Netscape
browser also has an email/news client (I'm using it to write this
message), and it has lots of builtin security. Of course, the only
long-term solution to worms and viruses is to use a properly secured
operating system like Linux (there are *no* viruses for that OS)...

Blessings,

Kirk
B-Hebrew co-chair