Isaiah 52:6 "I Am" or "I am He"

Michael Abernathy mabernat at cub.kcnet.org
Thu Aug 30 12:57:26 EDT 2001

I have a question for those better acquainted with the development of the Hebrew language.  In Isaiah 52:6 God says,
"Therefore my people will know my name; therefore in that day they will know that it is I who foretold it. Yes, I am He."

I am He translates )NY H).  As I remember Modern Hebrew often translates this as I Am.  This is also the phrase found in my Hebrew New Testament where Jesus says before Abraham was, I am. Here is my question.  Does the author of Isaiah 52 use )NY H) synonymously with YHWH?

Thank you for your help

Michael Abernathy

mabernat at cub.kcnet.org