traditions regarding tetragrammaton?

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Mon Aug 27 10:58:57 EDT 2001

Dear Charles,

Thank you for your interesting post. In a cafe in Jerusalem I once
asked a young man to read aloud from my Hebrew NT, and it was not
easy for him to realize that YHWH was written in the text. So your
words below are correct. I agree that to pronounce God's name in a
certain way is not what is important, but how we live our lifes
certainly are important.

The question about the tetragrammaton can be approached from two
different angles (at least), from a theological and from a
linguistic/philological one. While linguistics is a study of the
language per se, philology is, by the help of all kinds of evidence
to establish the original text. Theology can be one such tool, and
that was the reason why I appealed to the OT view of the
tetragrammaton.  The quotes from Jesus in the NT indicates that he
held the scriptures (the law, the prophets, and the Psalms, Luke
24:44,45) in high esteem while he was opposed to traditions (Matthew
15:1-9). So, to establish the origin of the view that the
tetragrammaton should not be pronounced is a philological question.

The word $EM can refer to different things, and we cannot by the use
of it alone know whether pronunciation was implied. However, if I
should state the case in the negative, I would say: There is no
indication in the OT that the tetragrammaton should not be pronounced
or that it was the custom to say )A:DONFY instead of the
tetragrammaton. The later custom of not pronouncing it is neither
implied by any book in the OT. The nearest we come is that
Ezra/Nehemiah did not use the tetragrammaton in their communication
with foreign officials.

If there was a general custom in the days of Jesus to use a
substitute for the tetragrammaton, this is an argument in favor of
KURIOS  being original in the NT. But it is not a conclusive
argument, because of Jesus' standpoint regarding tradition. If it
cannot be established that the commeon Jew used a substitute, this is
an argument in favor of KURIOS not being original in the NT. My
research has taught me that there is much hearsay in connection with
this subject and often little substance.

The theological importance of the question relates to the
relationship between the father and the son. A proper name used for
God in addition to the proper name Jesus would suggest that there are
two different individuals and that the two are no part of a trinity.
The use of KURIOS for both is convenient for those who believe in the
trinity doctrine.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli