traditions regarding tetragrammaton?

Jadkins26438 at cs.com Jadkins26438 at cs.com
Fri Aug 24 08:54:10 EDT 2001

In a message dated 8/24/2001 4:39:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Peter_Kirk at sil.org writes:

> Re the NT evidence, one thing you are missing is that Matthew has not simply
> preferred "kingdom of heaven" in his own writing, he has in many places
> changed "kingdom of God" in his presumed underlying sources into "kingdom of
> heaven", as witnessed in parallel passages in Mark and Luke. Or, less
> probably, "kingdom of heaven" was original and Mark and Luke changed it to
> "kingdom of God".
>
> Another clear NT example of "heaven" being used in place of "God" is Luke
> 15:18,21, where the returning Prodigal Son confesses his sin "against
> heaven".
>
> I guess we can only speculate on the reasons for these changes.

It should also be noted that Matthew uses 'Kingdom of God' 4 times, while he
has all 31 occurrences of 'Kingdom of Heaven' in the NT.  I also don't think
the reason for this change is clearly evident.  Although many I have read do
speculate that it is out of respect for his Jewish audience, Matthews reason
is not clearly stated.  Some have suggested, what seems even more unlikely to
me, the two terms are not synonymous.  There may be alternatives we have yet
to consider as to Matthews choice, beyond mere stylistic preference.
Possibly, emphasis?

At any rate I am not convinced this is evidence for the avoidance of the
divine name.

Sola Gratia,
         Jay Adkins
Always Under Grace!