Gen 1:2

Numberup at worldnet.att.net Numberup at worldnet.att.net
Thu Aug 23 15:31:56 EDT 2001

Therefore, in his own translation , _The Five Books of Moses_ (Schocken,
1995), Everett Fox translates Genesis 1:2 as "rushing-spirit of God
hovering over the face of the waters."  His footnote reads:
"Rushing-spirit: Others, 'wind.'  The Hebrew word ruah can mean bothe
'spirit' and 'wind.'"

Again, I would think that an English expression such as "active force,"
in the context, would be fitting.  It might not comprise the totality of
meaning inherent in "ruach," but what single English word does?

Solomon Landers