Atonement vs Redemption

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Sat Aug 18 21:33:34 EDT 2001

>In order to understand the Torah, especially concepts such as these,
>you have to go to JEWISH sources.  There is no other authority.

      I have been enjoying this interesting discussion.  But I'm a little
      confused.  Are you saying Jacob Milgrom isn't a Jewish source?  The
      Anchor series is an interfaith work (including Moshe Greenberg of
      Hebrew University for the Ezekiel volume), and in any case Milgrom
      also writes for the JPS Torah commentary (the Numbers volume).  That
      seems to place his commentary on Torah as a reasonably Jewish source.

      Paul Schaefer

Sorry - I was comparing him to the great commentators, and the
Mishna, and the Talmud, and the Kabbalists, I don't know how versed
he is in them, in order to really understand, one has to be familiar
with the whole unbroken chain of oral tradition, which was
subsequently written down.

Shoshanna