Atonement Vs. Redemption

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Fri Aug 17 18:19:04 EDT 2001

>Shoshanna wrote:  "Hashem did not write the new testament, however.  So this
>does not enlighten us as to the Biblical concepts of redemption and
>atonement."
>*************************************
>I strongly identify with the sentiments Shoshanna is expressing.  However,
>let it be noted that the word for "worship" in the Tanakh is `avodah,

This refers to the Temple worship, which required many activities.
The concept of work on the Sabbath derives from the 39 categories of
"work" that were done in the Temple worship.  The idea being, that
whatever we needed to supplicate for, during the avodah in the
Temple, we do not need to do on the Sabbath, because the nature of
the day, is that we are getting all our needs taken care of by virtue
of it being the Sabbath, and to supplicate (avoda) on that day,
represents lack of believe in Hashem.  I think the term is Melechet
Avoda

The avoda mentioned re Egypt is avodat PARECH, if I recall correctly.

In any case, it is true, that Hashem redeemed us from slavery in
Egypt, in order to have us worship (as in avoda) Hashem.

I don't think it is considered that we are slaves to Hashem, though.
Especially as we have free will, to obey, or not.

Shabbat Shalom (It's really getting close - just over an hour)

Shoshanna

> the
>exact same word that connotes "slavery" to the Pharaoh before the Exodus.
>Does anyone remember the Bob Dylan song with the line, "You got to serve
>somebody.  It might be the devil or it might be the Lord, but you got to
>serve somebody."
>Charles David Isbell

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [rosewalk at concentric.net]