Atonement Vs. Redemption

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Fri Aug 17 17:45:11 EDT 2001

>There was at least one case, in the Torah, where "redemption money"
>was used to cleanse the people from sin.

>Redemption is mentioned in Leviticus 25:48, Ruth 4:7, 2 Kings 12:5,
>and Psalm 130:7 as well as 12 times in the New Testament.
>Psalm 130:7 says, "let Israel look for the LORD, For with the LORD is
>kindness, with him is full redemption, And God will redeem Israel from
>all their sins."  The word "redeem(s)" or "redeemer" appears 90 times
>in the Old Testament and once in the New Testament.  Frequently, the
>LORD is said to redeem Israel.

Yes, it connotes freedom

   This is why a
>>priest anoints you with oil by drawing a cross on your forehead and
>>says, "You are marked as Christ's own forever."

>But this is not a Biblical concept, it is a later invention.

>The practice of anointing is an early Jewish and Christian practice.

Yes, it was done by Hashem through emissaries (Moshe and later, the
prophets), under Hashem's directives, as annointing the high priest,
the Levites, or a king.

The Christian priest, the cross, saying "you are marked as Christ's
own forever" is what I referred to as an invention, and not in the
Torah, this is NOT what Hashem, Moshe or the prophets did.
Christianity has taken many Biblical concepts and reinvented them.

>The word "anoint*" appears 24 times in the New Testament and 140 times
>in the Old Testament.  2 Corinthians 1:21 says, "But the one who gives
>us security with you in Christ and who anointed us is God; he has also
>put his seal upon us and given the Spirit in our hearts as a first
>installment."  See also 1 John 2:20 and 2:27.
>

>The idea that we are slaves of Christ is found in several verses in
>the New Testament including Romans 1:1, 1 Corinthians 7:22,
>Galatians 1:10, Ephesians 6:6, Philippians 1:1, and Colossians 4:12,
>as well as Jude 1:1.   The expression "slave* of God*" appears in
>Romans 6:22, Titus 1:1, James 1:1, and 1 Peter 2:16.  The last verse
>indicates that we find true freedom in slavery to God.

Hashem did not write the new testament, however.  So this does not
enlighten us as to the Biblical concepts of redemption and atonement.

Shoshanna

>Shoshanna

Cindy Smith		I have further observed under the sun that
cms at dragon.com		The race is not won by the swift,
cms at 5sc.net		Nor the battle by the valiant;
cms at romancatholic.org	Nor is bread won by the wise,
			Nor wealth by the intelligent,
Me transmitte sursum,	Nor favor by the learned.
	Caledoni!		-- JPS Ecclesiastes 9:11

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [rosewalk at concentric.net]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to