Atonement vs Redemption

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Fri Aug 17 09:45:12 EDT 2001

>An excellent discussion of kipper (which is usually translated atonement) can
>be found in Jacob Milgrom's Anchor Bible Commentary on Leviticus Vol 1.
>He is the authority on the subject, to my way of thinking anyway.

In order to understand the Torah, especially concepts such as these,
you have to go to JEWISH sources.  There is no other authority.

>The word translated redeem is pdh. YHWH redeemed the Jews from
>Egyptian bondage. Redeem doesn't have anything to do with sin.

It has to do with saving.  Podeh UMatzil

>Kipper does, but the meaning of sin, HT), is completely different from
>the CHristian notion.
>
>It must be remembered that it is the altar that is atoned for.

Huh???

>The sin of the individual (such as when she menstruates) affects
>the altar. The altar is then kippered by the blood of the sacriffice.
>It is only by constantly purging the altar with sacrificial blood is
>YHWH willing to remain in the temple. When the sins become
>so great that the altar cannot be purged,

G-d's "presence" in the Temple,  has to do with redemption

KPR, atonement, did NOT exclusively happen in the Temple with blood
sacrifice, on an altar.

>then he leaves the temple,
>and it becomes vulnerable to destruction. This is what happened
>in 586 bce, and again in 70. Ezekiel describes YHWH leaving the
>temple, and causing it to be destroyed. Later prophets describe
>his return: Isaiah 40-55, Ezekiel 40-48, Zechariah 1-8.
>
>When there is no altar, as now, there is nothing to kipper, the
>issue is really moot.

Not really moot at all.

Shoshanna