Atonement vs Redemption

Soshie77 at aol.com Soshie77 at aol.com
Thu Aug 16 23:30:26 EDT 2001

My biblical Hebrew isn't the best, but from what I do know you seem to be
confusing the biblical Hebrew mindset with that of the Christian mindset,
please correct me if I am wrong.  Atonement and redemption are two very
different concepts and mindsets, still often translations use them
interchangeably.  Atonement isn't the same as we think of it today, atonement
was putting one's sins onto something else, eg. sacrifice, that's where we
get the concept of scapegoat of, so that one may be forgiven. (The eye for an
eye concept follows these lines, often perceived very literally, it really
mean s that there shall be equal, but not exact, reperation for the wrong
committed) Redemption....that's difficult to explain.  As an example of
modern day perceptions, In Catholicism, Cathliocs believe that God redeemed
the world through Jesus.  In biblical Hebrew, it's not like that at all.  Can
someone help me here?  I'm looking for the right words, but can't think of
them right now.

Angela