Zion

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Sat Aug 11 06:59:37 EDT 2001

Here are some Hebrew proper names including the letters -IYY-, as in CIY.OWN
"Zion" (Hebrew data from the WTS database), with their traditional English
transcriptions:

Class 1: Hebrew -IYY- > English -ij- (13 names)

):ABIY.FH         Abijah
):ABIY.FM         Abijam
):ADONIY.FHW.     Adonijah
):AXIY.FH[W.]     Ahijah
)"LIY.FHW.        Elijah
+OWB ):ADOWNIY.FH Tob-Adonijah
+OWBIY.FHW.       Tobijah (2Ch 17:8)
YIB:NIY.FH        Ibnijah
YIR:)IY.FYH       Irijah
MIY.FMIYN         Mijamin
MAL:K.IY.FH[W.]   Malchijah
(IY.OWN           Ijon
(AN:TOWTIY.FH     Anthothijah

Class 2: Hebrew -IYY- > English -i- (23 names)

)W.RIY.FH[W.]     Uriah
B.UQ.IY.FHW.      Bukkiah
D.FNIY.")L        Daniel
HOWDIY.FH         Hodiah
XAG.IY.FH         Haggiah
(Y:)XIZ:QIY.FHW.  Hezekiah, Jehizkiah
XIL:QIY.FHW.      Hilkiah
+OWBIY.FH         Tobiah
YO)$IY.FH[W.]     Josiah
YIZ.IY.FH         Izziah
Y:XIY.FH          Jehiah
YA(:AZIY.FHW.     Jaaziah
Y:RIY.FHW.        Jeriah
YI$.IY.FH[W.]     Isshiah
MOWRIY.FH         Moriah
N"RIY.FH          Neriah
SUK.IY.IYM        Sukkiim
(UZIY.F)          Uzzia
(UZ.IY.FH[W.]     Uzziah
(IY.IYM           Iim (Jos 15:29)
CID:QIY.FH[W.]    Zedekiah
CIY.OWN           Zion
Q:RIY.OWT         Kerioth

Class 3: Hebrew -IYY- > English -iy- (3 names)

(EG:LAT $:LIY$IY.FH  Eglath-Shelishiyah
                     (KJV translates as "an heifer of three years old")
(IY."Y HF(:ABFRIYM   Iye-Abarim (KJV Ijeabarim)
(IY.IYM              Iyim (Num 33:45) (KJV Iim)

Class 4: other (3 names)

)IY.OWB           Job    (traditional rendering)
K.IY.W.N          Kaiwan (assimilation to an Arabic form?) (KJV Chiun)
K.IT.IY.IYM       Kittim (this Hebrew form seems to be an error in WTS)

Conclusion: there is some regrettable inconsistency in the English
transcription of Hebrew -IYY-, but the rendering of Zion is consistent with
the commonest way in which these letters are transcribed.

The letter y is very rare in transcriptions of names in the Hebrew Bible.
The following are the only ones I can find in a list of proper names in the
RSV (OT), apart from names like "Assyria" and "Babylon" which are clearly
derived from Greek and Latin forms. None of these forms appear in KJV.
Consonantal yod was apprently consistently transcribed "j", except that it
was simply omitted in cases like those noted above, and usually (not always)
word initially before "i".

Ayyah (KJV Gaza, 1Ch 7:20)
Eglath-Shelishiya
Iye-Abarim