Hebrew philology (somewhat off topic)

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Sun Aug 5 02:50:23 EDT 2001

In a message dated 8/4/01 9:59:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 
06peterson at cua.edu writes:

> Does anyone
> know the Hebrew equivalent(s) of "philology," "philologist," etc.?  

According to "The Complete English-Hebrew Dictionary" by Reuben Alcalay, 
philologist is "balshan" and philology "balshanut".  These Hebrew words are 
also translated as linguist/linguistics and etymologist/etymology.  
Interestingly, "bilshen" is a verb meaning philologize.  An alternative to 
"balshan", of course, is -- you guessed it -- "filolog".
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/attachments/20010805/96bcb11b/attachment.html 

More information about the b-hebrew mailing list