Hebrew philology (somewhat off topic)

Charles David Isbell cisbell at home.com
Sat Aug 4 22:15:30 EDT 2001

Tervor,
Actually MH has specific equivalents for the words you mention:  "philology"
is "BaLShaNuT,"  a "linguist" is a "BaLShaN."   I am aware of three
possibilities for their development. [a] Both are formed from the root
B-L-Sh, "to investigate, inquire, detect" [or slang, "to snoop"].  [b] The
prefix B- may be a short form of BeN, and this would yield a meaning like
"son of a language" for BaLShaN [from BeN-LaShaN, if there is a shift from
"O" to "Ah" as is known from Hebrew to Aramaic, e.g.].  [c] BaL may be a
quickened pronunciation of Ba`aL with the L doing double duty.  Here
Ba`aL-LaShaN would imply "master of a language."
I would be interested if others on the list know the true development of the
words BaLShaN and BaLShaNuT.
Hope this helps,
Charles David Isbell