Gen 1:2-- thwm

Penner pennerkm at mcmaster.ca
Wed Aug 1 23:00:19 EDT 2001

> Thwm never has the article, anywhere it appears. I don't know
> why. Maybe it  is a proper name?

The proper name theory is attractive and it seems historically
plausible, but for what it's worth, note the two instances in the MT
where the prefixed B is pointed with patah and the T is doubled (Isaiah
63:13 and Psalm 106:9). Also, the noun's gender varies, and it occurs in
the plural in Psalm 71:20. Somehow we'd need to explain these.

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Regent College), M.A. (McMaster)
Ph.D. Student, Religious Studies, Biblical Field (Early Judaism major)
McMaster University
Hamilton, Canada
pennerkm at mcmaster.ca