BH Syntax

Serge Lyosov lyosovs at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 29 13:34:01 EDT 2001

   Dear Colleagues,
I am finishing a paper on what I call “autocommentary” in BH narrative
prose.  My claim is that most of the asyndetic clauses in author’s speech
indicate author’s presence in a special way, i.e. the asyndeton has a
distinctive pragmatic function, see e.g.  2 Sam 8:14 (a very salient
example). I looked through most of the standard reference grammars at
“asyndeton” and “apposition”. Gibson’s Syntax  does adduce a relevant text
or two, labeling them “appositional”, but otherwise I did not found any
meaningful mention of the phenomenon. Do you know of any discussion of
asyndetic clauses in BH prose?
   Serge Lyosov