feminine pronoun in Jonah 4:4

Coakley Jim drcoakley at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 19:30:14 EDT 2001

A student in class recently asked me why there was a
feminine pronoun (you)in Jonah 4:4. (It is the last
word in the verse). I have looked in several sources
and I cannot find any discussion on why it is in the
feminine gender. I would expect masculine (referent
being Jonah) but the pronoun is pointed as a feminine
pronoun attached to the preposition lamed. The closest
feminine antecedent is nephesh in verse 3 and I was
wondering if that is the referent the Masoretes
intended or if there is some other explanation?

Jim Coakley
Moody Graduate School