Biblio. ref.: Nash Papyrus

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Thu Apr 19 01:55:25 EDT 2001

Jack,

I realize this.  At the same time, I think I see where Ian is heading
with this.  Golb has already called into question Cross' schema
wherein he breaks the paleography down into roughly 25-year
segments and classifies the hands of the DSS into these various
segments.  If the NP can be dated with any accuracy on other
grounds than Cross' pattern using the DSS, and its script fits a
pattern in Cross' methodology that is different from this dating, it
could undermine or at least seriously question the accuracy of
Cross' dating of the various scripts.  I have often wondered myself
how Cross could be so confident in his datings, and I for one am
interested in seeing where Ian's research leads on this topic.