Biblio. ref.: Nash Papyrus

Daniel Wagner dan.wagner at netzero.net
Wed Apr 18 15:43:18 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Raymond de Hoop <rdehoop at keyaccess.nl>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 2:10 AM
Subject: Re: Biblio. ref.: Nash Papyrus

E. Wurthwein's 2nd edition, _The Text of the OT_, 1995 Engl. ed., p. 34, says:

"The papyrus was dated in the second or first century AD by its first editors. On the grounds of its paleographical traits (which were not disputed at the time, and have since been confirmed by the Qumran texts), Albright assigned it to the Maccabean period,69 while Kahle assigned it on internal grounds to the period before the destruction of the Temple.70"

Notes:
69 W F Albright 1937: 145-176.
70 P. Kahle 1951: 5f.  For dating in the second half of the second century BC, cf. N. Avigad 1958: 65.

I was not familiar w/ Avigad, but his work is "The Palaeography of the Dead Sea Scrolls and Related Documents, " ScrHier 4:56-87. Repr. 1965. Kahle's article is Die hebraischen Handschriften aus der Hohle. Franz Delitzsch-Vorlesungen. Stuttgart: Kohlhammer.

Wurthwein also has a nicely enlarged photograph on page 145, as he does of many mss.

Dan Wagner

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!