Biblio. ref.: Nash Papyrus

Ian Hutchesson mc2499 at mclink.it
Tue Apr 17 12:19:45 EDT 2001

>> I was wondering if anyone had any bibliographical references to the
>> current understandings of the dating for the Nash Papyrus. I found
>> a few mentions of from 100 BCE to 70 CE, but I would prefer to have
>> a nice citable source!
>
>I think Bill Albright was correct in his assignment of the dating of the NP
>(JBL 56 (1937) p.145 and I think the palaeography enhancement of the
>period by the DSS bear him out over Kahle whose cites I am sure you have.
>Of course, my passion for palaeography and Dr. Albright having taught me
>have nothing to do with my opinion <g>

Thanks, Jack.

Strangely enough, the one citable reference I had was Albright's 1937 opinion, but a
lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. I'm looking at the underpinnings
of the common palaeographic wisdom on the DSS and I need independent materials on
the matter. So I'm still fishing for the current analyses of the Nash Papyrus.

Ian