HF$IBBO:LIYM (?) -- (Parenthesis)

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed Sep 27 13:52:35 EDT 2000

 At 12.02 27/09/00 +0000, Ben Crick wrote:

[snip]
In
Handel's Messiah, our choir director insisted that we articulate "He shall
reign for 'ever and 'ever" with glottal stops, not by singing it "he shall
reign forever endeavour".

Singing, especially the kind done in Messiah and other classical
works, is not a good criterion for determining "normal"
pronunciation.  "Proper" singing has its own rules of enunciation,
diction, vowel shaping etc.  Many years ago when I was singing
Messiah with a particular choir, the director instructed the
sopranos to sing "And ho shall reign" because the "e" in "he"
sounded screechy in that high register.  He also pounded into us
the importance of saying "evah" rather than "everrrrrr."  Singing
patterns won't tell us much about whether the Hebrews pronounced
the doubled shin or not; it can't even tell us about ordinary
pronunciation in our own languages.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated."  C. S. Lewis