The Flood

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Mon Sep 25 19:54:08 EDT 2000

Peter,

[snip]
> Of course the whole idea of a worldwide flood, lasting a year or so as in
> Genesis rather than for geological epochs, is a very difficult one from a
> geophysical and mechanical point of view. Where did all that water come
> from? And where did it go? There just isn't enough in the oceans to cover
> the land and all the mountains, even if the ocean beds were temporarily
> raised up. This seems to be a far more serious problem with the story of a
> worldwide flood.

Hmm, this is in direct conflict with what Michael Hildebrand said
about the hydrologists.  Who's right?  Of course, if the ocean beds
were raised up AND the mountains were lower...this is what the
flood geologists maintain was the condition of the earth before the
flood, and the combined weight and turbulence of the water brought
about some plate-shifting, fault-moving etc. and essentially
produced the highs and lows that we see today.  The text could
conceivably support this, since we know that HAR is a rather
flexible word in terms of how high a hill needs to be to qualify as
one.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated."  C. S. Lewis