Another Egyptian text

barre at nethere.com barre at nethere.com
Sun Sep 17 23:05:16 EDT 2000

Here is another Egyptian cosmological text that illustrates the fascination with the verb "to be[come]:

The Book of Knowing of the rollings[emanations] of Ra, and the overthrowing of Apep.

[These are] the words which the god Neb-er-tcher spoke after he had come into being:

"I am he who came into being in the form of Khepera, and I am the creator of everything which came into being; now the things which I had created, and which came forth out of my mouth after I had come into being myself, were exceedingly many.  The sky (or, heaven) had not come into being, the earth did not exist, and the children of the earth, and the creeping things, had not been made at this time.  I myself raised them from out of the Nu, from a state of helpless inertness."

L.M. Barre, Ph.D.

Angelfire.com/ca2/AncientIsrael