Linguistic Origins of Hebrew: 1800 BCE?!

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Sat Sep 9 12:08:18 EDT 2000

Brian,

I can agree with everything except the conclusion, and for the
same reasons that Henry already brought up: texts are not
language.  The only thing this shows for 1500 is that this is the
earliest preserved text that we have.  We have to keep in mind that
such artifacts come into our hands by the accident of preservation,
so if we don't have something earlier than that, it could mean that
we don't have the language before that or it could mean that
nothing has been preserved before that, due to the whims of time.
Good timetable, though.  A definite keeper.