Gen 1:1, Rashi

Peter Kirk Peter_Kirk at sil.org
Thu Sep 7 21:02:32 EDT 2000

Dear Bryan,

OK, maybe not so rare. But your analysis is a quite different one, nothing
like Rashi's which had verses 1-2 as clauses dependent on verse 3 as a main
verb. But you are taking verse 1 as an independent sentence. In fact what
you come up with is not very different from the "traditional" understanding
by which I mean "In the beginning God created...", especially since you are
making your regular change of qatal forms to "was a doer".

But how are you actually parsing this sentence? Do you see BARA) as a verb
or as a noun? I don't think it can really be both at the same time, though I
could be persuaded if you can show me other examples of any form acting at
the same time as both a noun at the end of a construct chain and as a finite
verb! (Even in any other language!) I accept that it might be possible to
supply "is" to an otherwise verbless clause, and I suppose that you could
argue that something like that must happen in Isaiah 6:1 (see my separate
posting) if you want to keep the WAYYIQTOL as the start of a new sentence.
But that really does seem forced, much more so than the traditional
intrepretation.