Gen 1:1, Rashi

Liz Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Mon Sep 4 22:48:00 EDT 2000

Dear Bryan, et. all.

This is the baro'.

 [We find] similarly, _texilat
> dibber yhwh behoshea`_ Hos 1:2 as if to say 'At    the
> beginning of God's speaking to Hoshea...'"
> It seems to me he accepts both the qatals bara' and dibber.

The commentary I have on Hosea keeps the Rashi in
Rashi script, which unfortunately I have not learned to read (yet).
The translation says "But the simple meaning of the verse is:
At the beginning of the speech which the Holy One, blessed be He,
spoke to Hosea, he said this to him."
So again, here we have dibber not interpreted as a finite verb,
but the phrase is again adverbial, time when. The first finite
verb is vay'omer.

I haven't looked up all the verses you cite of a finite verb
preceded by a construct. I did look up the first one in
Leviticus. I didn't check the Rashi, but Milgrom suggested
interpolating an "asher."  I don't understand how a finite
verb can be preceded by a noun in construct, but would
hate to argue they should all be emmended.
Do the grammars address this? I couldn't find a reference
to it in the ones I have.

Best,
Liz