Gen 1:1, Rashi

Bryan Rocine brocine at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 4 21:13:00 EDT 2000

B-Haverim,

Am I missing something?  Rashi suggested amending bara' to
baro'?

My Rashi reads this way:  "...for the word _re'shit_ never
appears in Scripture except when it is annexed to the
following word... Here, too you must interpret 'In the
beginning Elohim created' as if [it were written] 'At the
beginning of the creating.'  [We find] similarly, _texilat
dibber yhwh behoshea`_ Hos 1:2 as if to say 'At    the
beginning of God's speaking to Hoshea...'"

It seems to me he accepts both the qatals bara' and dibber.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor