Genesis

Christian M. M. Brady christian.brady at tulane.edu
Sun Sep 3 15:12:27 EDT 2000

On 9/2/00 9:22 AM, "Jeremy Sasser" <jeremy at fish.pair.com> wrote:

> In the introduction of Genesis in The NIV Study Bible:
>
> During the last two centuries some scholars have claimed to find in the
> Pentateuch four underlying sources.  The presumed documents, allegedly dating
> from the tenth to the fifth centuries B.C., are called J (for Jahweh/Yahweh,
> the personal OT name for God), E (for Elohim, a generic name for God), D (for
> Deuteronomic) and P (for Priestly).  Each of these documents is claimed to
> have its own characteristics and its own theology, which often contradicts
> that of the other documents.  The Pentateuch is thus depicted as a patchwork
> of stories, poems and laws. However, this view is not supported by conclusive
> evidence, and intensive archaeological and literary research has undercut many
> of the arguments used to challenge Mosaic authorship.
>
> Whatyathunk?? :-)

Getting back to the original message. Jeremy, I think you should take a look
at Wenham¹s commentary on Genesis. He gives a fair assessment of the current
evidence and offers a defensible (IMO) via media.

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
"If there are many wise men in a city, this means that the city will soon
fall."  -- Babylonian proverb