Israel

Ruthy & Baruch alster at bezeqint.net
Sun Sep 3 15:50:39 EDT 2000

Shalom Liz!

You wrote:
> It is odd. Every name I know of in the ane is a sentence with
> the god's name in it. But not in Genesis (except for Israel). Strange.
> Is the writer trying to convey a time in the hoary past,
> before men called on the name of God?

I don't think so.  We're talking about the God-fearing Patriarchs who call
their children Yicxaq (not Yicxaq'el) and Ya`aqob (not Ya`aqob'el).  The
only sons of patriarchs with theophoric names are Yi$ma`'el (named by an
angel, just like Yi&ra'el), and possibly Yehudah and Yosef (which IMHO are
arguable).  I heard a lecture once by Rabbi Yoel Bin-Nun who tried giving a
theological reason for it, but I don't remember what it was.

Kol Tuv,
Baruch Alster
Kochav Ya`akov, Israel